Automation is a system in which production tasks, traditionally carried out by humans, are passed on to a set of technological elements.
An automated system consists of two main parts:
The Control Part is normally regulated by a robot. The programmable robot is the centre of an automated production system and it should be able to communicate with all the constituents of that systemo.
The goal of automation is to:
- Improve the productivity of the company, reducing the time and the cost of production and therefore improving its quality.
- Increase safety by eliminating hazardous work and thus improve the working conditions of the staff.
- Conduct operations impossible to control intellectually or manually.
- Simplify maintenance operations.
- Integrate management and production.